Millbrook’s First Pep Rally of the 22-23 School Year

Sainabou Jammeh

The dance team had great performances the crowd loved.

Kendall Johnson, Section Editor

On Friday, Millbrook had its first pep rally of the 2022-23 school year. It was held at two different times for freshman and sophomores, and then for juniors and seniors. Coach Williams, Head Junior Varsity Basketball coach, was the pep rally’s lively host for the day.  

The pep rally began with a performance from Millbrook’s dedicated marching band. Following that was a great cheer routine from the cheerleaders, and then an exciting dance routine from our dance team that definitely got the crowd hyped. After those performances, many different games were played for the “battle” between the grade levels. They started off with a contest of who could get louder and seniors effortlessly took the win. The fall sports,  such as men and women’s cross country, women’s tennis, men’s soccer, men’s football, and women’s gymnastics were also recognized for their accomplishments. 

The next performance was given by the African Students Association (ASA). Senior Gloria Kwangunu, dancer for ASA, said, “The pep rally was a fun event to be a part of. I’m proud of everyone who participated alongside ASA because of the time and dedication that I saw going into planning and practicing for the pep rally.” 

Next, it was more games between the grades. One consisted of a relay race of running and putting on a jersey and hula hooping, another of using your head to spin around a basketball on the ground then making a free throw from the three-point line, an impressive dunk competition, and a three point competition. After the final round of games, the juniors just could not take the victory over the seniors, with a final score of  4-3. There were fun activities for the crowd to enjoy as well, like a dance off and a few different half-court free throw competitions, even one which included our principal, Dr. Saunders. 

The pep rally was a great time for students and those involved. Senior football player, Dylan Meza, enjoyed the pep rally. He said, “It was a lot of fun. I enjoyed all the performances and the games played but my favorite moment was when someone actually made the half court shot.” Millbrook’s homecoming pep rally was enjoyable and a great way to end the week.