Five People Killed in Raleigh Neighborhood

Mass+shooting+in+Hedingham+neighborhood+

Wikimedia Commons

Mass shooting in Hedingham neighborhood

Ella Milak, Staff Reporter

A 15-year-old teenage boy violently murdered five and injured two innocent civilians, in Hedingham, a neighborhood in Raleigh, North Carolina. The teenager was found wearing an all-camouflage outfit and carrying a shotgun, handgun, and  hunting knife. This event occurred for a lasting four hours and 27 minutes from when the first 911 call was made, to when the fifteen year old suspect was captured. The suspect was soon discovered to be Austin Thompson, a student who attends Knightdale High School. 

At 5:09 p.m. Wake County emergency communications received their first call which reported multiple shots fired near the Hedingham golf course. Minutes later, another 911 call was made, claiming that the caller heard shots being fired. The caller later explains that she saw two victims which were then discovered to be Nicole Connors, 52, and Marcille Gardner, 59. Seconds after, another 911 call reported that an off-duty police officer was shot on 6000 block of Osprey Cove Drive. The police arrived at the scene and were looking for a 6-foot, fifteen year old male dressed in camouflage with a shotgun. The police officers would be tracking down the suspect for the next few hours. The fifteen year old shooter was detained at 9:36 p.m. and was suffering from a single gunshot wound.  

The Raleigh community came together to mourn the victims of the mass shooting. Movements to stop gun violence have united in order to reflect and honor the lives lost in the Hedingham neighborhood. More than 200 people gathered in the plaza outside of Raleigh Memorial Auditorium to honor the lives lost and people affected by this tragic mass shooting.