Black Student Union Millbrook Clean Up

De'Zaria Lucas, Multimedia Director

Oct 24, Millbrooks very own Black Student Union (BSU) organized and led a campus clean up. They encouraged students who are not in the club to come join and help. Being at school for about six hours a day, five days a week, it’s like a home away from home because of how much time teachers and students spend on campus.There is only so much the custodians can do, as the dirt and trash builds up around campus. The school is not as clean as it should be and to the naked eye it can be seen as a lack of care or thoughtlessness by students. Millbrook is a community and it is the students duty to respect their community. 

While contributing to the clean up, many volunteers helped to shine a light on the wonderful thing that the BSU has organized. Below is Cat Talk’s podcast, Chatty Catty. In this episode you  can listen to conversations with some of the members of BSU and get an inside feel of what the clean up was like. To hear about the service project, click on the link below: 

https://anchor.fm/mhscattalk/episodes/Black-Student-Union-Millbrook-clean-Up-e1pmtii

Podcast layout: 

Podcast episode planning

Intro – information/ safety precautions – interview 1 (La’Nita Hester), Information reporter point of view of campus clean up and conversations during the clean up- conversation 2 ( Challe Newkirk)- commentary, conversation 3 (La’Nita Hester again), 

People that were interviewed:

La’Nita Hester- President 

Challe Newkirk-Member

Mariama Dean- Social Media Liaison 

Mr.A- Advisor 

Junior Challe Newkirk and senior Jeremy Ayuk-Takem collecting trash out of the bushes near the tennis court. Challe is a member of the BSU and Jeremy was there to help out, together they made wonderful progress.