Millbrook Football Advances to the Second Round of Playoffs

%28left+to+right%29+Captains+of+last+weeks+game%2C+Daniel+Stein%2C+Blake+Mobely%2C+Jayden+Ferguson%2C+and+David+Santiago+walk+onto+the+field+to+shake+hands+with+the+Clayton+captains+before+the+game.+

Gisselie Alvarez

(left to right) Captains of last week’s game, Daniel Stein, Blake Mobely, Jayden Ferguson, and David Santiago walk onto the field to shake hands with the Clayton captains before the game.

Kendall Johnson, Section Editor

After being named conference champions from their win over Wake Forest high school, Millbrook football was able to advance to the playoffs. This puts them at rank No. 1 in their conference and 18th in the North Carolina Division 4A. Last Friday, the Wildcats took charge over Clayton coming out on top with a win of 27-10. 

The team brought their A-game this round. On the offensive side, wide receiver Nathan Leacock had a total of 69 yards scoring two touchdowns, running back Xavier Pugh had a total of 85 yards and one touchdown, and kicker Angel Gomez-Corona kicked 3-for-3 field goals. Corner Session Mcarthur caught three interceptions, and the aggressive offensive line also had several good blocks, giving quarterback Mason Fortune time to throw the ball as well as blocking for Xavier Pugh. On the defensive side, middle linebacker Ian Rembert had a sack and six tackles in addition to outside linebacker Jayden Ferguson having  a total of six tackles. 

The players are excited and hopeful for the team to make it past the 2nd round and continue their season. Senior Cornerback Daunte Stokes says, “ I speak for the whole team when I say we are feeling confident going into this game against a tough opponent. We had lots of struggles with people being out last week from sickness, and even some with injuries, and we still came out on Friday and dominated the whole night.” The Wildcats will take on Cardinal Gibbons this Thursday at Cardinal Gibbons. Gibbons is 9-2 overall, 5-0 in their conference, and ranks 7th in the North Carolina Division 4A. Senior Session Mcarthur says, “I know we can take on Gibbons and come out on top. We’ve been working for this all season and I’m confident in our skills. I’m ready to go out and play the best game I can.” This will be an exciting match up, good luck to the Wildcats as they continue to fight to be state champions!