3 Students Dead and 5 in Critical Condition After Shooting at Michigan State University

Photo by Wikimedia

East Lansing’s Police Department is still looking for information on the shooter and his motives and will update the public with information as they get it. Until then, Michigan State University is still under emergency operations.

Haley DiFruscio, Writer

Monday night at 8:30 p.m., students of Michigan State University were alerted to a disturbance at the school’s East Lansing campus and instructed to follow emergency procedures for an on-campus shooting. The suspect, now identified by authorities as 43-year-old Anthony Dwayne McRae, was found deceased this morning from self-inflicted wounds.

Three dead and five hospitalized students have been confirmed so far by authorities, but their identities are being kept private. East Lansing’s Police Department has provided no possible motive for the gunmen’s actions and the university received no threats or warnings prior to the shooting. Police will continue to investigate the shooter’s motives and maintain a heavy presence on Michigan’s campus in the coming days.

The university’s interim president, Teresa Woodruff, said in a press conference this morning that the school would operate under emergency procedures for two days and provide mental health resources and counseling for students involved in the night’s events.