3 Dead After Shooting In Orlando

Five+shot+and+three+killed+in+an+Orange+County+shooting+Wednesday.+The+community+and+social+media+are+sympathetic+towards+the+families+affected+in+the+attacks.+

Five shot and three killed in an Orange County shooting Wednesday. The community and social media are sympathetic towards the families affected in the attacks.

Kenley Belcher, Writer

On Wednesday morning, February 22, a 38-year-old woman was shot in Orange County, Florida. The man who shot Nathacha Augustin was later identified as 19-year-old Keith Melvin Moses. He was charged later Wednesday night with one count of murder. 

Before Moses was caught by police, he went back to the scene of the original crime, shooting four more people. The first shot during his second attack was a 24-year-old news reporter covering the murder. Dylan Lyones, a reporter for Spectrum News 13, died after the shot by Moses. Along with Lyones, the photographer at the scene with him was also shot, and was in critical condition on Wednesday night. Moses continued a few miles down the road and shot both a mother and her 9-year-old daughter. The daughter, T’yonna Major, was killed after the shooting. The mother remained in critical condition through the night. 

Toklyo Major, the 9-year-old’s father, made a GoFundMe for his daughter. He said, “She was everything to us. She was such a great student at the top of her 3rd grade class and reading at a 5th grade reading level. She was outgoing as well as an amazing gymnast.” Major continued with writing, “T’yonna was a light to everyone that knew her.” 

Moses’s intentions are still unsaid on why he started the shooting spree. In an interview with CNN on Thursday, Orange County Sheriff John Mina said, “No one in our community – not a mother, not a 9 year old, and certainly not news professionals – should become a victim of gun violence in our community.” Moses isn’t talking to police, so they have yet to find connections between him and the people of the second attack. It is believed that Moses will be charged later for both the deaths of Lyones and Major. 

Through Twitter and social media, everyone expressed their sympathy towards the affected families. Many in the community are upset, and they are shocked such an event ever happened.