Around the World in a Day

Chealyn Bradely

launting their moves, performers display African garb and dance at the performances that took place Tuesday. The performances, this year, take place not only at the festival itself but also at 6pm on Thursday.

Madisen Judge, Section Editor

Millbrook has many traditions from Winterfest to the classic Homecoming Dance, but the International Festival is by far the biggest and most inclusive tradition this school has. To put on such an extensive festival, preparations take place weeks, even months, in advance in order to create such large displays. The sculpture classes, as well as Art Club, spent many classes and after school hours working on large installations and putting together activities for all the students that come through. Sophomore Claudia Money helped with some of the bigger parts of the installations and said, “It might be really stressful in the days and weeks leading up to the festival, but it is always worth it in the end!”

This year’s theme highlights relationships, not only among other people,  but to the world around you. Over the course of the week, there have been installations set up in the senior lounge, asking students what their family, friends, and technology do for their lives. Exhibits that are created deal with the relationship between Millbrook and the world, and more specific topics, such as sports, poetry and food. The exhibits that are put on in the gym are created by a mixture of clubs, classes, and students to share their culture or view on the world. Most booths are interactive and invite students and faculty to learn more about different cultures.Visitors will have been able to visit exhibits such as Butterflies Around the World, Cats who do Stats, French Cuisine, and many more.

The International Festival also hosts a performance every year. This usually includes a fashion show which exhibits clothing styles from around the world, cultural dances, and other performances. Junior Alaina Bubeck is showcasing Irish Dancing and said, “Everyone has put so much time and energy into their performances. I really think this year’s festival will be something to remember.” This year’s festival has the performance not only during school hours, but also a second performance after school starting at six pm tonight. Students and their parents are invited to come and enjoy!