Transgender Healthcare Policies in North Carolina and West Virginia Ruled Discriminatory By Court of Appeals
Spectacular Student: Bryce Milford
Pro-Palestinians Use College Encampment To Protest
National Honors Society 2024 Induction ceremony
Morgan Wallen Arrested on Felony Charge

Millbrook’s Local Talented Musicians

Millbrook’s musical department has proven to have multiple talented students. Despite having to balance being both a student and a musician and the demands that come with that, such as honing their skills, trying out for different groups, and managing their time, they remain passionate; the talent of these students excel all around. 

Xavier Brown playing violin in a previous orchestra concert (Daniel Lang)

Xavier Brown, a junior in the IB diploma program, has been a part of Millbrook’s orchestra, the Triangle Youth String Sinfonia (TYSS), as well as the Triangle Youth Philharmonic. “When I started playing violin, I realized how passionate I was about music. Music plays in my head constantly; it’s become the way I think in some ways,” he saidTo new musicians Brown says: “Music can enhance your life in so many ways and just try it if you’re interested, because you can do so many things and bring so much joy to many people, and that’s the best part.”

Jake Wilkens is a member of Raleigh’s School Of Rock as well as a member of local band “Archangel.” His passion, he says, derives from his childhood.

Jake Wilkens giving a vocal performance at a previous show hosted by School Of Rock (Steve Jackle Photography)

“My passion for music has been around since I was born and listening to my dad’s music in his car,” Wilkens said.   As a bass guitar player, his journey began by playing guitar, however he quickly learned the acoustic guitar wasn’t for him. Wilkens is happy with his chosen instrument and even has an upcoming gig on December 17, located in Downtown Raleigh’s ‘Kings.’ The event is free and open to the public.“Bring your friends, family, dogs, cousins, your uncle who isn’t really your uncle and is just your dads childhood best friend!” Wilkens said. 

Deacon Humphrey is another member of Raleigh’s School of Rock. His musical journey

Deacon Humphrey playing guitar at a School of Rock Concert (Steve Jackle Photography)

began from the popular game, Guitar Hero.

“I started playing guitar because I played guitar hero as a kid and really liked it…when you first start, you’re not going to be good at it. It takes a really, really long time, but if you stick with it, you’ll eventually get good. Practice makes perfect is a cliche for a reason,” Humphrey said. With band auditions to practice for and an upcoming show on January 3, alongside his responsibilities as a student, he’s learned that balance is key. As he progresses towards his musical career, he also has his eyes set on the College of Design at North Carolina State University.

The stories of these talented students not only highlight their individual journeys but also serve as an inspiration for others to explore the potential of music. As musicians and students, these talented individuals will undoubtedly prosper.