What’s The Deal With Cliffhangers?
Teachers Are Struggling, There Needs To Be Change
The Triangle’s Spring Flowers are in Bloom
Unravel the Pages: “Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe”
Marine Ecology Classes Explore the Waters

April 25, 2024

Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

April 25, 2024

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

April 23, 2024

Spectacular Student: Ian Johnson

Ian+Johnson+uses+kindness+and+perseverance+to+attack+any+struggle+along+his+way.+He+used+these+skills+to+excel+in+both+school+and+running+to+commit+to+Elon+University+for+track+and+cross+country.+
Ian Johnson uses kindness and perseverance to attack any struggle along his way. He used these skills to excel in both school and running to commit to Elon University for track and cross country.

As the school year is reaching closer to its end, many seniors are picking colleges, and many athletes are deciding where to commit. One of these senior athletes is Ian Johnson. An active member of the community at Millbrook, Johnson is seen at the track, announcing for flag football games, and talking to anyone he meets. 

Johnson spends a lot of time and energy in the clubs and activities he is a part of. He said, “So for me, one of the main clubs I chose to be a part of is the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. It gave me a chance to come to school and talk about my faith with others and learn more about it. No other school offered me that opportunity.” Alongside FCA, Johnson is also a part of Millbrook Young Life, another club where he can discuss his faith with friends and members of the community. 

While he spends some of his time in the classroom and clubs, Johnson’s main time is spent on the track and cross country courses. “My favorite Millbrook activity I participate in is track and cross country of course. It gave me the opportunity to let off some energy because if you know me well, I am a huge ball of energy,” he said. “It also gave me a way to keep myself in shape and gave me a balanced schedule that I try to follow every day.” Having activities to interact with others and improve himself is a big factor for Johnson. 

By putting in so much time and energy into running at Millbrook, Johnson has committed to running D1 at Elon University. He said, “Elon was the school that felt like home for me the minute I stepped on campus. The inclusion, community, people, and campus are some of the amazing things I could have asked for during my college application era. To be able to especially be a part of the XC/Track & Field team is something that I never thought I would be doing. Not many people can say they are a part of a D1 athletic school, but I am truly stunned and humbled to say that I can!” 

With all of these accomplishments, Johnson had to find a way to stay organized. He said, “I tend to have the same schedule on days I have school. It’s something my mom taught me to do. I struggled with it in middle school but made huge improvements throughout high school.” Using these skills, he has been able to improve both school and other aspects around his daily life. 

Johnson and his friendly personality make an impact with many people throughout the school. Sophomore Caleb Maness, a friend and teammate of Johnson’s said, “Ian brings a lot of positivity to wherever he is. He is always willing to help people through things like giving people rides, or paying for someone’s food. He is also a great athlete and contributes a lot to the running team.”

Sophomore Wyatt Pearce and teammate of Johnson’s said, “Ian is really nice and fun to be around. He’s helped me learn more about running and how to push myself during difficult times.” Johnson’s kindness and skills he has learned helps him lead the underclassman the way he wished to be led. 

Johnson has learned a lot, and wants to keep pushing his goals through college and beyond. He said, “Millbrook and the lessons I have learned here have taught me a lot. I think that just learning the basic things throughout your childhood and through your young adult era will help you out when it matters the most.”