Foodies round up for last Food Truck Rodeo of the year

Post hurricane Matthew brings in a ravenous crowd to the downtown Raleigh Food Truck Rodeo. Food vendors were very pleased with the turnout of the event. Hundreds of foodies were excited about the variety of options to choose from.

E. Willis

Emily Willis, Staff Reporter

After hurricane Matthew hit the the Raleigh area, Triangle residents stormed the Food Truck Rodeo on Sunday in search of culinary relief. Despite hurricane winds, people of Raleigh were excited to get out of the house to experience great food, weather, and company. Even our four legged friends were enjoying the beautiful weather and attention from the doting crowd. Over 45 trucks featuring everything from Maine lobster rolls to Vietnamese dumplings, there was something for everyone! The main attraction of the Food Truck Rodeo was the Cousins Maine Lobster with over a two hour wait! Their most popular dish is the Connecticut Roll, which is Maine lobster sauteed in butter, inside of a toasted bun also from Maine. Many say the little taste of New England is worth the wait. The rodeo expanded from the Old State Capitol building almost to Memorial Auditorium, nearly a half a mile of food trucks and restaurants spread out over 11 city blocks.

To attract customers, the majority of the businesses decorate their truck to fit the theme of the unique foods that they serve. Walking by, the smell of food can either bring you in or drive you away. It is all about your personal preference. Sophomore Taylor Daniels said, “I’ve heard of the Food Truck Rodeo before, but I have not been yet. I would love to go next year and hopefully get a gyro or fries. I always need fries!” Juniors Chloe Daniel and Carson Weddle were at the event and exclaimed that they had a great time together! Weddle explained that this was his first time unlike veteran Chloe, and he had “the only burger from The Only Burger, which was fairly cheap, only five bucks.” Prices vary just like the food featured at the rodeo; some places are more expensive but are worth the price! The crowd attracted over a thousand people of all ages but mostly early twenties to late forties. The Food Truck Rodeo is a free community event and encourages everyone to come out and enjoy the downtown festivities. Unfortunately, this was the last Food Truck Rodeo of the year, but do not despair; the spring rodeo will be here sooner than you know it, bringing even better goodies to downtown Raleigh.