Campus Clubs: The robots are coming

B. Mamel

Ready for last year’s competition, this bot was constructed by Millbrook’s Robotics Club and placed twenty-first out of 59 teams. The team will play the field game again at the robotics event on October 28.

Summer Anderson, Staff Reporter

The Robotics Club, or the Gearcats, is a hardworking and dedicated club focused on building robots and competing in local and statewide competitions. On Saturday, October 28 from 10 am -6 pm, they will be joined at Millbrook by 29 other schools from around the county and the state for their first robotics event of the year. Every year, groups of students build a robot for over six weeks to compete in a challenging field game. The club has mentors from the community and the school who teach them how to apply computer programing, electrical and mechanical engineering, and marketing into their robot.

Millbrook started its first robotics team last year and is hoping to make the club into a major part of student life. Most schools and robotics clubs in the community are transitioning from a First Lego League, where they build robots out of legos, to a full on robotics program like we have here at Millbrook. The idea of the club is to build a K-12 robotics program that allows students to learn engineering throughout their school career in North Carolina. Research shows that approximately 40% of US jobs will be impacted by automation by the 2030s. Robotics is a great way to prepare students for the future.  Last year, Millbrook’s robotics team finished twenty-first out of 59 teams in the state.

The Robotics Club is a great group to try out if you like engineering, math, science, or technology. No experience is needed if you are willing to be hardworking and try something new. Too scared to try it out or just want to observe? Come to the Robotics Event on October 28 to support your MHS Gearcats. Sophomore club member Micah Krauss said, “I believe Millbrook students should come up to the event because it’s going to be tons of fun and educational at the same time.” Admission is free, and it is a fun event for the whole family. Concessions will be available for purchase and all proceeds goes to support the Gearcats. Come out and support your Millbrook Gearcats!