Campus Clubs: NHSDA

+To+promote+holiday+spirit%2C+NHSDA+members+Essence+Ferguson+%28vice-president%29%2C+Christina+Bailey%2C+and+Damaris+Jackson+are+selling+candy+canes+during+lunch.+The+funds+from+the+candy+canes+will+be+donated+to+help+the+special+needs+take+dance+classes.

S. Anderson

To promote holiday spirit, NHSDA members Essence Ferguson (vice-president), Christina Bailey, and Damaris Jackson are selling candy canes during lunch. The funds from the candy canes will be donated to help the special needs take dance classes.

Summer Anderson, Staff Reporter

With the holidays right around the corner, it is the season for giving. The National Honor Society for Dance Arts, or the NHSDA, is a society that is offered at schools nationwide that was created to recognize outstanding merit, leadership, and academic achievement in students studying dance  at K-12 schools. Starting on Monday, December 4 through Thursday, December 7, the NHSDA will be selling candy canes. The candy canes will be sold during all lunches and will cost one dollar each. You can buy them for friends, teachers, or that special someone. They will be distributed to 4B classes on Friday, December 8. They are donating the proceeds from the candy canes to Miracles in Motion.

Miracles in Motion is a program designed to provide the full dance experience to people with special needs. They provide a complete dance education, along with structured choreography and rehearsals in a dance company setting. It was founded in 2007, after the birth of professional dancer Kim Moncrief’s special needs son. The company is based out of Virginia, but also has classes here  in North Carolina. Miracles in Motion is a great organization, and the dancers are a inspiration to people of all ages.

The NHSDA is very active around the school. The NHSDA meets at least once a month to do different dance activities and help spread kindness around the school. At their last meeting, the group made note cards with words of encouragement and hung them around the school. The group also does work outside school to help the community of dance. The advisor of the NHSDA is Ms.Hoy, and the president is Christina Billman. “It is very important to give back to your community, especially during the holidays because some people are less fortunate than we are. It is also very important to help people reach their dreams of dancing even with them having setbacks,” said sophomore club member Molly Foster.

Members of the NHSDA are hardworking students that help spread the importance of dance throughout the community. If you take dance a class here at Millbrook, or outside of school, the NHSDA is a great way to get involved. Unfortunately, it is too late to join this school year, but you can join starting next fall. Make sure you help support NHSDA by buying candy canes Monday, December 4, through Thursday, December 7, at all lunches to help disabled people live out their dance dreams.