To ghost or not to ghost?

Texting is the new way of communicating with your loved ones from wherever they may be. What happens, however, when your significant other or best friend chooses not to respond to you and ghosts you?

Janie Inscore, Sports Editor

Ghosting is an issue that has been plaguing the phones and lives of teens, and even adults, in the dating world for years now. It is the ultimate silent treatment, and sometimes a way of ending a friendship or relationship by simply choosing not to respond to text messages. Some people who ghost think they are doing the right thing by making it less painful than actually expressing their feelings towards the other person. Other people just forget to respond and mean no hard feelings. Either way, ghosting hurts all the same to the people who have to deal with the confusion as to why they are being ghosted. Is there ever a good time to ghost, or is it simply unfair and rude to the person on the other end of the phone? 

In certain situations, some high schoolers believe that abruptly ending a text conversation is necessary. Junior Becca Rascon feels that “Ghosting is most appropriate when a conversation is unhealthy or a discussion is not coming to a result.” Many students can relate to feeling uncomfortable in a conversation or as though a fight is not reaching a meaningful conclusion. Becca also pointed out, “It’s healthy to ghost people who aren’t worth your efforts.” In situations such as betrayals, cheating, or a continual refusal to listen to reasoning, most high schoolers can testify to the fact that ghosting may be the best option. However, lots of times friends, boyfriends, and girlfriends will ghost their significant others as a way of proving a point or even to cause pain. In times like these, is it wrong to ghost? 

When considering what it feels like to be ghosted, as many Millbrook students admitted to having experienced, it is important to remember the pain and anxiety that can result from an unreturned text. There are many reasons as to how being a ghost could be beneficial to you, but what can be said for why ghosting is wrong? For starters, honesty is the best policy. Most relationship partners and friends would prefer for their texting buddy to be straight up. It is never fun to be lied to in person, and it is even worse through the phone. Being shocked and blindsided as to why your texts are going unanswered is not an ideal relationship to be in. Not only is this unfortunate for the unlucky person being ghosted, but it may even make the ghoster feel bad, as they know the dishonesty they are succumbing to. You choosing to ghost also makes it okay for others to do this to you since you are setting the example. All things considered, ghosting has perks! Yet, with all good things, there are also downfalls, and ghosting is a touchy subject that can have major effects on both texting parties.