Millbrook Presents Matilda

The full cast of Matilda gather around the stage to take this picture. The cast embraces each other and shows how close they have gotten over the course of this production.

De'Zaria Lucas, Staff Reporter

The auditorium fills with family and friends to see Millbrook’s very own theater department put on the production Matilda. The book written by Roald Dahl, with a musical and movie adaptation, is about a troubled little girl who just wants to learn and uses books to ‘escape’ the horrors of her life and strive to be better than what her parents wanted her to be. 

Cat Talk speaks with freshman Maddie Atwater, who plays the lead role in Matilda. Days before the musical took place, she was asked how she feels about the show, and she says, “I am absolutely loving the process, I am learning so much, and it is a great experience to be a part of.” Freshman Maddie Atwarter also says, “I think that when you work so hard at one thing with so many amazing people they all become family to you and I love that we are building such a strong bond while doing it.” 

Each student has a specific process of becoming their character, and making the role feel true to them. When asked about his process of becoming Trunchbull, sophomore Henry Eastin says, “I think I just started walking goofily with my back hunched. It was just funny to me to be evil like that so I just followed the path of funny eviliness.” He brings light to such an evil character and causes this to be such a fun comedy relief, while still understanding the gravity of the situation with these complex characters. 

The lead, freshman Maddie Atwater, was asked the same question and said, “I like to try to find myself in the role; I think it makes it so much easier to act if I feel emotionally connected to the story. I have also been trying to learn as much about Matilda as a person as I can; I try to understand what she would do in certain situations, then I establish her relationship with all of the characters in the show and how she feels about them.” 

Senior Casey Wild plays Ms. Honey, Matilda’s teacher. Casey explains her process of becoming Ms. Honey to Cat Talk and she says, “Matilda was one of my favorite books when I was younger so my love for the book really helped me a lot with her backstory and how I needed to act it out. I also connect to the music more than anything so singing her songs helped me to really get in character.” 

A staff reporter also spoke with the tech crew about their jobs and how they contribute to the production. Junior Hadley Brickman was one of the assistant stage managers, and she says, “As the assistant stage manager, my job is really just to help organize the show. I work backstage, and I wear a headset to communicate between the tech

booth and both sides of the stage. I am also here to help resolve any conflicts and answer questions; I have to know the jobs of all the different crews and all the movement that goes onstage to help things run smoothly.” 

The cast and crew worked so hard to make Matilda a possibility. Each night, the auditorium was a full house to watch these young actors and actresses bring these characters to life.