Pride and preoccupied

Books set in past time periods, like the ones pictured above, provide great insight on how people used to live, while expanding the reader’s vocabulary with its semi-foreign dialect.

Olivia Burnette, Staff Reporter

Books provide a perfect escape where anything is possible, and the only requirement to venture on the journey of your choosing is the ability to read. Still, our society has become so fast-paced that many young people, even with the whole universe at their fingertips, have decided that books are too tedious. The population of readers is decreasing rapidly, but the amount of classic book enthusiasts is diminishing at an even quicker rate. Many students find classic books intimidating. Whether it is by Austen’s peculiar punctuation or Orwell’s political symbolism, many students are overwhelmed by classic literature. But do not worry because Millbrook’s English department is helping students everywhere by recommending their favorite classic books.
The selection chosen by the teachers was a very interesting spread of both popular and less well-known classics. One book titled The Awakening was recommended by both English I teacher Ms. Balazs and English II and Speech I teacher Ms. Brown. The Awakening is a book written in the late seventeenth century dealing with women’s issues, making it a book definitely ahead of its time. If you are a feminist or interested in feminism, this book is a strong recommendation.
Creative Writing and English II teacher Ms. Tudor expressed her interest in a book titled Walden by Henry David Thoreau. This book is focused on a man who decides to immerse himself in nature to be able to get a new insight on society and its culture. Walden is a great book for introverts and analytical thinkers.
This next recommendation from English I and Speech I teacher Ms. Belmares may be very familiar to Millbrook students involved in theatre. Ms. Belmares gushes over her favorite character, Anne from Anne of Green Gables, by saying, “She is my personal hero and full of passion and imagination. She loves life and she loves to learn!”
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy is a book dealing with an evaluation of the Imperial Russian feudal system, religion, gender and social class. English I and IB English literature teacher Mrs. Genesky recounts by saying, “It was summer reading before my senior year in high school, and it was amazingly beautiful and tragic. I’m pretty sure I’m the only senior who finished it, and I’m so happy I did.”
Reading books allows people to escape a world full of stress and conformity. Whether you are infatuated with the timeless aspect classic literature possesses or an avid fan of the ‘new releases’ section at Barnes and Noble, make sure to talk to your English teacher to get great recommendations for your next compelling read.