Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

SB4: Texas’s New Effort Regarding Immigration

Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott sought to sign a new immigration law on Monday, Dec 18

A new Texas law will now authorize state officials to arrest and seek deportation of immigrants “suspected” of illegally crossing the Mexico border. It is now one of the harshest state laws regarding immigration in recent history, giving state law enforcement the power to arrest and put into jail any Mexican migrant accused of violating the law under new illegal entry charges. The new law will also allow state judges to issue deportation orders to any suspected illegal migrants although it is being questioned how this will be enforced. 

The law is known as SB4 or Senate Bill 4, with Abbott stating, “The goal of Senate Bill 4 is to stop the tidal wave of illegal entry into Texas.”

In other words, it is an attempt by the state of Texas itself to cease any further heavy immigration into the United States by the citizens of Mexico. SB4 is certain to spark legal and political outrage from numerous civil rights groups from across the nation, already garnering strong criticism from Democratic Parties, the Mexican Government, and civil rights groups such as the Civil Liberties Union, which have come out saying they will file a lawsuit against it. 

Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrator is already prepared to challenge SB4, calling the new law “inhumane.” The President of Mexico has expressed criticism towards Gov. Abbott in the past, urging Mexican-American citizens to vote against him. He’s already come out saying, “The foreign ministry is already working on the process to challenge this law.”

It is undeniable to regard the punitive nature of this law. Something that is foreseeable to be an enemy for Texas citizens of hispanic descent or a history with immigration. The groundworkings for a future of racial profiling and fear among immigration communities.