La Musica de Latin America

+Latin+music+has+become+become+a+popular+genre+within+our+growing+society.+Spanish+Singer+Ricky+Martin+sings+various+types+of+music+including+latin-pop%2C+rock%2C+reggae%2C+and+much+more.%0A

commons.wikimedia.org

Latin music has become become a popular genre within our growing society. Spanish Singer Ricky Martin sings various types of music including latin-pop, rock, reggae, and much more.

Juliana Martinez, Staff Reporter

There is no end to the history of Latin music. This style of music has great variety due to its multiple origins. For example, in the country of Colombia, the music that you will predominately hear is determined by the city that you are in, such as Salsa in the city of Cali. There are many other different styles of latin music, such as Reggaetón, Bachata, Merengue, and so much more. Geographically, Latin American music comes from the Spanish and Portuguese speaking regions of South America.
Latin American music comes in many different rhythms, such as Bachata. Originating in the Dominican Republic, Bachata is a style of dance which also developed as music. The original term for Bachata was amargue which means bitterness. This style of music is usually about romance or tales about sadness or heartbreak. Typical instruments used for this music are bongo drums, an electric bass guitar, and the guira. The guira is a Dominican instrument used in merengue and bachata to add a beat to the music without the overwhelming volume of drums.
Many Latin singers such as Marc Anthony, Ricky Martin, and Shakira have changed and shaped American music. They influenced different beats and rhythms in many forms of music. Latino artists have taken the many sounds and traditions of their varied backgrounds and put them together with the influences of African American and Native American musical styles. This creates new and unique sounds from purely ethnic backgrounds for the mainstream American scene. Many Latino musicians use the traditional songs of their ancestors, bringing them into the modern world with the addition of new instruments and other influences.
Latin American music is and has been a very popular genre since its development over 400 years ago. Sophomore Megan Lochen said, “Whenever I hear Spanish music playing anywhere I am, I feel compelled to start dancing. It makes me feel happy and energetic.” This style of music was created to make people get up and dance. The music tells you about the artists personal stories and leaves you with the song stuck in your head. Even if you do not understand the Spanish language, the music is still worth listening to.