How to feel the Maniac pride

How to feel the Maniac pride

At the first varsity football game, Maniacs cheer on the Varsity team in their Hawaiian gear. Football games are a great way to get involved and feel the pride!

Logan Powers

Laura Conoly, Writer

Worry not Wildcats, this is not another “Maniac Foul” video. This is the guide to feeling the Maniac pride by being involved in Millbrook, and the community in everything from clubs to volunteering. There is always a lot going on at Millbrook, and the more you participate the less out of place you will feel. Millbrook is the third largest high school in North Carolina with about 2,610 students and over 200 teachers, so there are always lots of ways to be a part of the community. There are tons of ways to get involved in and out of school, such as clubs, football games, and volunteering. There are over sixty clubs, activities and sports available such as Marching Band, Mock Trial, Soccer, Mad Scientists Club and many more. To find a list of clubs and their advisors, go on the Millbrook website, go to activities and then to clubs and organizations, or tune into the Morning Growl during second block. The majority of clubs will accept anyone, but be sure to pay attention to the interest meeting dates.

Some of the best Maniac moments take place in school activities like dances and football games. Sophomore Josie Ansbacher said, “My favorite part of being a Maniac is the initial start of the football games when they do kickoff and throw baby powder because it sets the tone for the rest of the game and you know it’s going to be a fun one.” Football games are on Thursdays and Fridays, JV starting at 6 and Varsity starting at 7. Millbrook also has Winterbash later in the year that includes the dance and talent show assembly. There are also two movie nights put on by MEB, tailgates, and much more. Just keep an eye out for dates on the website, Morning Growl and flyers posted around school.

As a freshman and a sophomore you need twenty hours of community service per year. Community service is a great way to be more aware of what is going on around you and to be a participating member of your community. There are multiple places that are always looking for volunteers such as the YMCA, dog shelters and senior centers. If you are a part of the IB Programme, you will also be required to do community service junior and senior year. Community service forms are on the Millbrook website, and there are resources for local places to volunteer. If you are unsure of requirements or where to start send an email, call, or go in and talk to who is in charge of volunteers. Everywhere will have different requirements for age and training. Do not be afraid to go get involved. Junior Ahyonna Pitts said, “I love being a part of the Millbrook community because being able to show how happy I am to be a Wildcat, and I love how we all come together to show our love for Millbrook by supporting our teams.”