Shaw University President – Top finalist for 2023 Woman of the Year

E. Conigliaro
Dr. Dillard as a finalist for WRAL’s Woman of the Year!

Dr. Paulette Dillard, the 18th president of Shaw University, was one of five finalists for the 2023 WRAL Voters’ Choice Award for Woman of the Year in recognition of her contributions to both the university and medical field.   Dillard grew up in Mount Airy, N.C. and studied at Barber Scotia College in Concord. She earned a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Biology, and also received a Master’s of Science Degree in Biology from Tennessee State University. She later went on to earn a Master’s in Business Administration at the Jack Massey School of Business at Belmont University, as well as a Ph.D. in Biological Sciences from Clark Atlanta University, where she completed postdoctoral training at the Center for Cancer Research and Therapeutic Development.

During her tenure at Shaw University, a historically black university in Raleigh, Dillard served as the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, Department Chair for Natural Sciences and Mathematics, and as an Associate Professor of Biology. Throughout her career, Dillard has served on numerous boards of professional and community organizations. She currently  serves on the boards for the “Carolina Small Business Development Fund” and the “Dorothea Dix Conservancy.” She also taught biology at numerous institutions for over 20 years before assuming her position at Shaw.

WRAL has described Dillard’s achievements by saying, “Through her diverse academic and professional journey, Dillard has demonstrated remarkable commitment to governance and community development at Shaw University, while also sharing invaluable advice for women aspiring to pursue leadership roles in academia.” These traits led her to be nominated for this prestigious award.

Jonathan Paulk, head coach of Shaw University’s Women’s Volleyball team, was asked how Dr. Dillard has impacted his time while at Shaw. He told Cat Talk, “Dr. Dillard provides a great balance of demanding excellence paired with unwavering support for her employees. While most presidents don’t make time for volleyball matches, Dr. Dillard has traveled with us to every CIAA Championship tournament. It’s a wonderful feeling when you have someone like her in your corner.”

We also asked Paulk, based on personal experience, why he feels Dr. Dillard deserves this recognition, to which he replied, “Dr. Dillard spearheaded the ShawU District, which the Raleigh city council approved in June. This achievement will secure Shaw’s future and greatly benefit Raleigh. She is a cunning president who has set the base for an incredible legacy in downtown Raleigh.”

Clearly, Dr. Dillard is very deserving of this recognition. And although she did not win the most votes, this acknowledgement is a notable achievement. This is something she can add this nomination to her long list of accomplishments!