Keeping up with Agricultural Class

The beautifully built garden by Horticultural garden at the N.C. State Fair. With lots of effort put into this they were able to place second.

Carter Ramey, Section Editors

Millbrook Agriculture classes came together with Alenatoce Gardening at the North Carolina State Fair to build a garden. The Future Farmers of America (FFA) at Millbrook helped run the barnyard at the state fair. Both the Agricultural Department and FFA organization represented Millbrook at the state fair where over 800,000 people attended. 

Horticulture is a class that focuses on science behind plants and how biodiversity affects the environment. Partnering with Alenatoce Gardening located near Millbrook on Atlantic Avenue, helped them make building this garden possible. This year, they entered a garden-building contest at the N.C State Fair. Sophomore Lindsay Hockstra, who has been in the class for two years now, says, “We planned several weeks in advance before going for the day to build the garden.” These students spent a lot of time on this project to make sure the garden was put together in an organized and pretty way. “Not only was it fun to know that what we built was great, but also getting to spend the day building it was fun, and I got to become closer with my classmates,” Lindsay said about her experience while building the garden. This whole project took them about a week of classes to prepare; then, they took a field trip to the fairgrounds for the day. The work that they put in was worth it, and they earned great results, placing second place out of every other garden in the state that was submitted. 

FFA is a club run by the Millbrook agricultural teachers Mrs. Brodwell, Ms. Goblet, and Mr. Berglund who believe  participating in the state fair was a rewarding experience. They were in charge of running the barnyard, where people can come through and see farm animals. Millbrook FFA brought some of their own goats and rabbits to be a part of the exhibit. On top of that, FFA also helped with running a concession stand, and some of the proceeds were donated to the club. Both FFA and Horticulture were able to do great things at the N.C. State Fair and represent Millbrook!