Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

WHOA’s Period Pack Drive

The Importance of Accessible Period Products
WHOA is running its second annual period drive. Donate pads and tampons to room 252 now!

This year, Millbrook’s very own Women’s Health Outreach Advocates (WHOA) are running their second annual period pack drive.

WHOA’s advisor, Mrs. Carter, explains the purpose of the period drive, “The goal of the WHOA period drive is to help provide all students at Millbrook with the feminine hygiene products they need but may not have access to for free.” 

WHOA is asking for donations of pads or tampons to be brought to Mrs. Carter’s room (252). They are then going to use the donations to assemble period packs that will be delivered to all classrooms. These period packs will make it so anyone who needs a period product while in class can get one, for free, without having to ask.

Having access to free period products is important since they are often taxed as non-essential or luxury goods. In North Carolina, period products are taxed at a rate of 4.75 percent. This period tax makes it hard for lower income people to have access to the products they need. WHOA’s period packs will ensure that everyone who needs them will be able to access them regardless of if they can afford them or not.

Hayden Sutherlin, a sophomore officer for WHOA says, “I think it’s great to have these items more accessible for the students here! It makes sure that everyone always has something just in case you can’t afford it at home.”

Having a period is a normal part of life for half the population, and yet many are made to feel ashamed for it because of the stigma surrounding periods. Because of this, people often feel too embarrassed to ask their friends for a pad or tampon, the period packs will eliminate the stress of asking. 

Mrs. Carter explains, “This can also be a topic that students are nervous to talk about or ask someone for, so letting everyone at Millbrook know that we have these products available with no questions asked can help students feel more comfortable while at school.”

If you want to help WHOA’s period drive, they will be accepting donations all year long. Just drop off your pads and tampons at room 252!