Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

Creative Cats: Angelica Medina

Caleb Williams
Angelica participating in Pullen Parks, Holiday Express.

Millbrook’s dance department is filled with talented individuals who all have their strengths. Amongst them is Angelica Medina, a junior at Millbrook whose passion lies with contemporary dance. Medina is an active member of Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), the Women Health Outreach Advocates (WHOA), Millbrooks Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA), and the National Achievers Society (NAS). She also holds a state title for Millbrooks Colorguard.  

Medina was raised in Philadelphia where she was a part of a dance studio, Midnight Dance, where her dance journey began. She accomplished first point in ballet. Since then she has moved to Raleigh and after joining Millbrooks dance class as an elective, she was able to learn different techniques and showcase her growth as a dancer. 

Medina describes her favorite moment as a dancer as “Any moment I’m able to come up with my own choreography that I can feel vulnerable with. Dance is a very vulnerable state for me.” 

She has a profound respect for the dance community and as a dancer herself she recognizes the struggles within the dance department. 

“I think as an art  [dance] it is not taken seriously enough because it is a woman’s based sport and also it’s very feminine and it isn’t respected in the way it should be. Arts as a whole isn’t respected the way it should be but I feel like dance especially is physically demanding in a way that some people just can’t understand.”

Her participation in Mr. Anthony’s dance proficient honors class has further motivated her to audition for his company class–a hand selected class, chosen by Mr. Anthony, that focuses on more technical styles with additional performance times.

Medina’s performance as a dancer is applauded by Millbrooks’ dance teacher, Mr. Anthony, who says, “She’s actually a really amazing dancer, a great student, always engaged, motivated, she’s very funny! I love having her energy in class, she’s a good vibe!”