Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

Creative Cats: Kael Alley

Kael Alley (Right) performing “Beautiful Girls” on Millbrook production of “Singing in the Rain.”

Millbrook’s theater productions have showcased some of the brilliantly skillful actors and singers that attend the school. Amongst the many is sophomore Kael Alley. Alley is currently an active member of the acting and chorus departments. As a singer, Alley is a member of Millbrook’s Madrigals, a participant in our school’s “Singing Valentine,” and an active member of his church’s singing worship team. As an actor, Alley has participated in numerous roles in the school’s theater productions.

Alley’s singing journey began as a child. He has fond memories of singing in the car with his mother and being an active member of his church worship team. He says “Whenever I heard about [the church worship team], I was like: ‘Oh that seems like really fun!’ and being able to do what I like and just do it for other people and for my religion… I think was really fun! My parents both sing so it was always a good path I wanted to take.” Alley eventually began participating in his middle school’s choir group in the 8th grade. Alley has also been applying his passion to his sophomore personal project  by producing a song with his own lyrics and piano accompaniment. 

Alley’s love for singing eventually led to his participation in the school’s theater productions. He first was a part of the ensemble for “Guys and Dolls,” as well as Percy Shelley in “Frankenstein.” His  role in “Singing in the Rain” included ensemble, Rod, and Tenor– a notable character known for singing “Beautiful Girls.”

When asked what his favorite moment is throughout the musical process, Alley commented, “Being able to get to know the cast in every show and figure out who they are as a person and how they act is really fun…performing with a lot of them for the first time is what I really enjoy about doing musicals”

As both a singer and actor, he looks up to his peers for inspiration and advice to continue his growth. Alley mentions Millbrook senior actors Nick Ansbacher, Jack Burich, and Elise Edmondson as some of his inspirations, as well as  senior singer Nick Rivera, and junior singers Rowan Kindl and Tad Stolz. One of his big role models has been Millbrook’s chorus teacher and director, Eddie Adams: “He’s one of my biggest inspirations for a lot of stuff that I do, and Mr. Adams is just a great teacher!” Adams and Alley worked together for the musical as well as Alley’s audition for N.C. Governor’s School. 

Alley’s advice for anyone interested in the choir program is to “just be confident and find those people in choir who will continue to push you to be a better singer and just a better person in general.” For those interested in pursuing acting, Alley says, “I was super nervous when I first started acting, like I got my first line and I was like, ‘oh gosh, this is not gonna end well.’ But just taking the notes that people give you and just listening to how other people act and kinda taking that and just [being] confident with everything that you’re doing is really important…Just have fun with it, even if it’s not perfect, just have fun and go with everything!” 

Millbrook senior Elise Edmondson comments on Alley’s work ethic and his enormous potential in the theater program, “He’s so talented but he’s also so humble and so willing to take constructive criticism, so I have no doubt he’s going to graduate [as] one of the best actors in our program just because he’s so willing to grow.” 

As Alley continues his participation in the arts, it is clear that he is a remarkable individual. His career goal is to pursue his passion of arts by majoring in music education in hopes of becoming a chorus teacher.

View Comments (1)