Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

Bed Bugs Taking on the Streets in Paris

Getty Images
Paris’ popularity makes it subject to infestations occurring and becoming out of control. Bed bugs are more attracted to dirty surfaces, and with so much tourism Paris gets dirty.

Bed bugs have taken over the city of love – Paris. Before the long-awaited Paris Fashion Week, there were reports of bed bugs rummaging through homes, train stations, hospitals, and other public spaces. 

There are no definite answers yet as to why the bed bugs have invaded Paris, however, in 2022, the city had more than 44 million travelers. Before this year’s infestation, Paris saw the same problem between 2017 and 2022, with 1 in 10 houses reportedly infested, according to ANSES, the French health and safety agency.

Fear spreads in the city as residents are preparing for the 2024 Olympics to take place there in 9 short months. According to The Times, Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has said that an infestation of bedbugs on the London transport network is a “real cause for concern, and vehicles were being cleaned on a nightly basis.” Air France is implementing policies to keep flights running. 

While the infestation is prevalent, it is not everywhere in the city. Therefore residents and tourists should travel with caution and take measures to keep safe. 

Tourists are still welcome to visit Paris as long as they check with the hotel to make sure they have no reports of bed bugs. Measures have been taken to help guests and make sure they feel safe. Keeping suitcases off the bed is a great way to ensure they don’t travel home or get into the luggage. While staying at a Paris hotel, guests should look out for small, brown, flat-bodied insects, and they will know for itchy red bites on their skin, which indicates there are bed bugs in the room.