Campus Clubs: Online school will not stop Key Club

A group of Key Club members gather together in 2019 and take on the challenge of cleaning up a local park. Here, they took the time to get to know each other while giving back to their community.

Provided by Y. Elkassem

Caroline Kirby, Staff Reporter

As Millbrook began its very first virtual school year, there were many questions about clubs. With being limited to virtual meetings only, it is making things quite difficult for clubs to proceed with their regular activities. Thankfully, Millbrook’s club advisors were up for the challenge. Many clubs have started virtual meetings, including one of the most well known clubs at Millbrook, Key Club. 

Key Club is the largest and oldest service program for high school students. The club focuses on positively impacting Millbrook and the surrounding community through service projects and student-led activities. Each meeting, the members discuss different ways they can give back to their community and complete a service project together as a group. Some projects the club has completed in the past include cleaning up city parks, serving at the food bank, making stress balls, and helping with the Miracle League baseball program for individuals with disabilities. Although online learning has caused some obstacles in planning events, senior Key Club President Yasmeen Elkassem said, “Key Club has thought of new events to adapt to the circumstances.” One event the club has planned includes making dog toys, which everyone can do from home and donate them to nearby shelters or community resources. Additionally, through the organization Letters Against Isolation, Key Club strives to create letters and mail them to elderly who may be isolated due to the pandemic. Elkassem also said she can see Key Club “participating in a socially distanced park clean up,” as well as “donating clothes, food, supplies, etc. to nonprofit organizations such as Note in the Pocket and Mothers for Hope.”

The club has made several positive impacts on the community and in the lives of the club members. When asked why she decided to join the club, sophomore Caroline Tutino responded, “I wanted to meet new people and have better opportunities to get service hours that I would actually enjoy completing.” So far, she says her experience with the club has been “super fun and encouraging.” Key Club is such an important and beloved club at Millbrook, and it continues its legacy through virtual learning.